Environmental monitoring at the mouth of the Guadiana Estuary
The SIMPATICO is an autonomous system for water quality and current monitoring, installed at the mouth of the Guadiana Estuary (Southern Portugal-Spain border
The system is operational since March 2008, providing unique months-long time-series at high frequency (hourly and 15 min) of:
- Currents (every 80 cm along the water column);
- Water level;
- Water Quality: temperature, turbidity, dissolved oxygen, salinity, chlorophyll and pH
For detailed information, see:
- Garel E, Ferreira Ó, 2015. Multi-year high-frequency physical and environmental observations at the Guadiana Estuary. Earth System Science Data, 7(2), 299-309.
- Garel E. & Ferreira Ó, 2011. Monitoring estuaries using non-permanent stations: practical aspects and data examples. Ocean Dynamics 61, 7, 891-902.
- Garel E. , Nunes S., Neto J. M. Fernandes R., Neves R., Marques J. C., Ferreira Ó., 2009.The autonomous Simpatico system for real-time continuous water-quality and current velocity monitoring: examples of application in three Portuguese estuaries. Geo-Marine Letters, 29, 5, 331-341.