you can use the buttons below to navigate thought the page
technical reports on tasks
modelling tools and simulations
Publications in journals
- Costas, S., Gallego-Fernández, J.B., Bon de Sousa, L. & Kombiadou, Κ. (2023) Ecogeomorphic response of a coastal dune in southern Portugal regulated by extrinsic factors, CATENA 221(A), 106796. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.catena.2022.106796
- Bon de Sousa, L., Costas, S., & Ferreira, Ó. (2022) Effect of survey parameters on unmanned aerial vehicles-derived topography for coastal dune monitoring, Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 16(3), 034513. https://doi.org/10.1117/1.JRS.16.034513
- Garzon, J.L., Costas, S. & Ferreira, O. (2022) Biotic and abiotic factors governing dune response to storm events. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 47( 4), 1013– 1031. https://doi.org/10.1002/esp.5300
- Carrasco, A.R., Kombiadou, K., Amado, M., Matias, A., (2021). Past and future marsh adaptation: lessons learned from the Ria Formosa lagoon. Science of the Total Environment, 790. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.148082
- Kombiadou, K., Costas, S., Roelvink, D., (2021). Simulating Destructive and Constructive Morphodynamic Processes in Steep Beaches. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. 2021; 9(1):86. https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1312/9/1/86
- Costas, S., Bom de Sousa, L., Kombiadou, K., Ferreira, Ó., Plomaritis, T.A., (2020). Exploring foredune growth capacity in a coarse sandy beach. Geomorphology 107435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geomorph.2020.107435
- Kombiadou, K., Matias, A., Costas, S., Rita Carrasco, A., Plomaritis, T. A., & Ferreira, Ó. (2020). Barrier island resilience assessment: Applying the ecological principles to geomorphological data. CATENA, 194, 104755. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.catena.2020.104755
- Konstantinou, Z.I., Kombiadou, K., 2020. Rethinking suspended mussel-farming modelling: Combining hydrodynamic and bio-economic models to support integrated aquaculture management. Aquaculture, 523. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2020.735179
- Roelvink, D., Huisman, B., Elghandour, A., Ghonim, M., & Reyns, J. (2020). Efficient modeling of complex sandy coastal evolution at monthly to century time scales. Frontiers in Marine Science, 7, 535. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2020.00535
- Herrero, X., Costas, S. & Kombiadou, K., (2019). Coastal ridge constructive processes at a multi‐decadal scale in Barreta Island (Southern Portugal). Earth Processes and Landforms. https://doi.org/10.1002/esp.4742
- Roelvink, D., & Costas, S. (2019). Coupling nearshore and aeolian processes: XBeach and Duna process-based models. Environmental Modelling & Software, 115, 98–112. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.ENVSOFT.2019.02.010
Publications in conferences
- Bon de Sousa, L., Costas, S., and Ferreira, Ó., (2022). State of coastal dunes using morphological parameters, 6ª Conferência Morfodinâmica Estuarina e Costeira, MEC 6-8 June 2022, Lisbon, Book of Proceedings, 19-20 p.
- Costas, S., Gallego-Fernández, J., Bon de Sousa, L., Kombiadou, K. (2022). Ecogeomorphic adaptation of a coastal dune in Southern Portugal, 6ª Conferência Morfodinâmica Estuarina e Costeira, MEC 6-8 June 2022, Lisbon, Book of Proceedings, 21-22 p.
- Costas, S., Kombiadou, K., and Roelvink, D., (2022). Exploring coastal dune adaptation through a simplified process-based model, EGU General Assembly 2022, Vienna, Austria, 23–27 May 2022, EGU22-8561, https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-egu22-8561
- Bon de Sousa, L., Costas, S., and Ferreira, Ó., (2022). Morphological parameters to assess the state of coastal dunes, EGU General Assembly 2022, Vienna, Austria, 23–27 May 2022, EGU22-12029, https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-egu22-12029
- Bon de Sousa, L., Costas, S., Ferreira, Ó, (2021). The use of UAV low flights to monitor coastal dunes, 8th Coastal Dynamics, online, 28 June – 2 July 2021 [abstract]
- Elghandour, A., Hinson, S.K., Roelvink, D., Reyns, J., Costas, S., (2021). Coastline evolution due to inlet migration: Field Validation and applications of the ShorelineS model, 8th Coastal Dynamics, online, 28 June – 2 July 2021 [abstract]
- Kombiadou, K., Costas, S., Roelvink, D., (2021). Recovering steep beach profiles in XBeach, 8th Coastal Dynamics, online, 28 June – 2 July 2021, 8th Coastal Dynamics, online, 28 June – 2 July 2021 [abstract]
- Saleh, M., El Serafy, G., Vitousek, S., Elghandour, A., Reyns, J., Roelvink, D., Corzo, G., (2021). Enhancing the free-form coastline evolution model, ShorelineS, predictability using data assimilation, 8th Coastal Dynamics, online, 28 June – 2 July 2021 [abstract]
- Costas, S., Garzon, J., Ferreira Ó, (2021). Does vegetation make coastal dunes more resistant to storm induced erosion?, 8th Coastal Dynamics, online, 28 June – 2 July 2021 [abstract] [poster]
- Costas, S., Araújo, A. C., Costa, A. M., and Naughton, F., (2021). Changes in human settlement during the Mesolithic of SW Iberia motivated by the rapid inundation of the coast, EGU General Assembly 2021, online, 19–30 Apr 2021, EGU21-12389, https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-egu21-12389
- Bon de Sousa, L., Costas, S., Ferreira, Ó., (2020). The potential of UAV to monitor coastal dunes changes, 6as Jornadas de Engenharia Hidrográfica/1as Jornadas Luso-Espanholas de Hidrografia, Instituto Hidrográfico, Lisbon, Portugal, November 3-5, 2020, pp 280-284, [link to Conference Proceedings]
- Elghandour, A., Roelvink, D., Costas, S., (2020). Improving the fidelity of morphological impact predictions in Arctic Alaska barrier Islands, AGU Fall Meeting, 1-17 December 2020 [abstract]
- Elghandour, A., Roelvink, D., Huisman, B., Reyns, J., Costas, S., Nienhuis, J., (2020). Reduced complexity modeling of shoreline response behind offshore breakwaters, 37th International Conference on Coastal Engineering (ICCE), 13-18 September 2020, Sydney, Australia (oral)
- Costas, S., Kombiadou, K., & Roelvink, D., (2020). Exploring the role of vegetation and sediment supply to coastal dune states using integrated process-based modelling, EGU General Assembly, Online, 4-8 May 2020, https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-egu2020-18568
- Kombiadou, K., Costas, S., Roelvink, D., & McCall, R., (2020). Post-storm recuperation as a stepping-stone towards long-term integrated modelling in steep beaches, EGU General Assembly, Online, 4-8 May 2020, https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-egu2020-17470
- Costas, S., Kombiadou, K., & Roelvink, D., (2019). How do multiple beach and dune beach ridges emerge and evolve in prograding coasts?, Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Coastal Sediments 2019, Tampa/St. Petersburg, Florida, USA, 27 – 31 May 2019, pp. 2282-2295, https://doi.org/10.1142/9789811204487_0195
- Roelvink, D.J.A., McCall, R.T., Costas, S., va Der Lugt, M., (2019). Controlling swash zone slope is key to beach profile modelling,
Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Coastal Sediments 2019, Tampa/St. Petersburg, Florida, USA, 27 – 31 May 2019, pp. 149–157, https://doi.org/doi:10.1142/9789811204487_0014
- Costas, S., Kombiadou, K., & Roelvink, D., (2019). On the genesis of new ridges at prograding coasts, X Jornadas de Geomorfología Litoral, 4-6 September 2019, Castelldefels, Spain, pp. 29-32 [full paper] [presentation]
Master Theses Orientation
- Büttelman, Jakob Jonathan (ongoing), Spatio-temporal variability in active dune plant communities using UAV and multispectral data, Postgraduate Program Marine and Coastal Systems (Mestrado em Sistemas Marinhos e Costeiros), University of Algarve, Portugal. Co-supervision: S. Costas & K. Kombiadou
- Mostafa Saleh, 2021, The Application of Ensemble Kalman Filter – Data Assimilation in Simple One-line and Free-Form Coastline Evolution Models. Case Study: The Mega-Scale Nourishment Project in the Dutch Coast, the Sand Motor Motor. MSc in Hydroinformatics – Modelling and Information Systems for Water Management, IHE Delft Institute for Water Education, the Netherlands, Co-supervision Elghandour A., MSc Thesis Identifier WSE-HI.21-16
- T.S.F. (Tim) Overgaauw, 2021, Modelling shoreline evolution in the vicinity of shore normal structures: Implementation and validation of ShorelineS model using the case study of Constanta, Romania, MSc in Hydraulic Engineering, Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands, Co-supervision Elghandour A. [link]
- Shadrack Kwaku Hinson, 2020, Modelling of Coastline Evolution at the mouth of the Volta Inlet (Ada-Foah) and the Togolese coastline. Evaluating the Performance of ShorelineS: Coastline Model for the Simulation of Complex Coastline Change. MSc in Hydroinformatics – Modelling and Information Systems for Water Management, IHE Delft Institute for Water Education, the Netherlands, Co-supervision Elghandour A., MSc Thesis Identifier WSE-CEPD.20-03
- Elghandour A., Roelvink D., (2020). Arctic Alaska barrier Islands: improving the fidelity of morphological impact predictions, Phase 1 Report, pp. 42 [link]
- Susana Costas, ‘Exploring coastal dune adaptation through a simplified process-based morphodynamic model’, Invited talk for the International Society for Aeolian Research (ISAR) Seminar series, July 13th, 2022.
- Matias, A., Costas, S., Loureiro, C. Delgado-Fernández, I. 2022. ‘O Litoral para Crianças. Série de vídeos’. Adaptation of the ‘Coast for Kids‘ series in portuguese.
Coasts for Kids is a collaborative experience between children and their parents, coastal scientists, community artists, teachers, animators and coastal managers. Check out the videos below:
- Kombiadou K., Matias A., Costas S., Carrasco A.R., Plomaritis T., Ferreira Ó. (2022), ‘What is resilience of coastal systems?’ (O que é a resiliência de sistemas costeiros?), Ualgoritmo, Vol. 4(1), pp. [link]
- Susana Costas presents ENLACE project in ’90 segundos de ciência’ (in portuguese). Listen using the player below or use the link.
- Susana Costas, Juan Garzón Hervas (2021), ‘How do we investigate coastal dynamics’, Activity with students (1 group of 27 secondary education students and 1 group of 20 technological education students) in the framework of the International Day for Human Rights, 10 December 2021, Tomás Cabreira Secondary School, Faro
- Luísa Bon de Sousa (2021), Participation (part of CIMA team) to International Science and Art Festival, 15-17 October 2021, Oeiras
- Ahmed Elghandour, Benton Franklin, Conner Lester, Megan Gillen, Meredith Leung & Samuel Zapp (2021), Simulating Shoreline Change Using Coupled CoastSat and Coastline Evolution Model (CEM), Earth Surface Processes Summer Institute 2021 Student Project Presentations, October 29th, 2021, youtube link
- Susana Costas & Katerina Kombiadou (2021), Coastal observation and modelling, 24 September 2021. European Researchers’ Night 2021, Mar Shopping, Faro, Portugal
- Susana Costas (2021). Coastal Dunes in a Changing Climate, 15 September 2021. Solid Earth Seminars. Presentation through videoconference.
- Susana Costas (2021). Participation in the Panel PT Space: The Sea Level Rise in Coastal Cities – Forecasts and challenges, 4 June 2021, WATER World Forum for Life, https://waterworldforum.com/program/
- Susana Costas, (2020). How do we measure changes in beaches and dunes?, talk (in portuguese) directed to secondary school students, 24 November 2020, Do Laboratório para todos, Centro de Ciencia Viva do Algarve.
- Susana Costas, (2018). Project “ENLACE”: Can we simulate how beaches grow and shrink?, talk (in portuguese) directed to secondary school students, 20 November 2018, Semana C&T 2018, Centro de Ciencia Viva do Algarve.
- Duna model: download the code (in MatLab) of the model for 1-D aeolian transport developed in the project through the link. (the code is available under GNU Lesser General Public License v2.1)