Obj. 1 - Understanding the dynamics of oceans (from the coast to the open ocean)
Obj. 1 aims at contributing to the holistic knowledge of oceanic and coastal processes, applying interdisciplinary approaches to solve the complex interactions between coastal and marine subsystems. The main activities will be centred on:
- The development of multidisciplinary observatories in coastal waters;
- The implementation of mathematical models, assimilating observations, to simulate and predict oceanic processes;
- The validation of satellite remote sensing products and develop new digital applications for the marine sector.
- The understanding of interconnections between coastal circulation, water quality, phytoplankton temporal variability, food web dynamics and water–sediment–biota chemical interactions;
- The development of eco-hydrodynamic studies in transitional waters (e.g. physical-chemical exchanges with coastal waters, saline intrusion, settlement conditions for invasive species).