marine and coastal systems master programme (MaCS – SIMCO)
The Marine and Coastal Systems master programme (MaCS – SIMCO) integrates knowledge using an interdisciplinary approach.
It focuses on the study of processes operating within the coastal and marine systems, subject to complex geological,
physical, chemical, biological and social forcings.
Who can attend?
1st degree (BSc) on Marine Sciences, Biology and Life Sciences, Earth Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering and Physical Geography.
Title: Master in Marine and Coastal Systems
Award: Master of Science, MSc
Study mode: Full time
Duration: 2 years
Credits: 120 ECTS
Language of tuition: English
Accreditation: fully accredited in accordance
to the Bologna Process
Start date: September 2019
Fees: 1100 euros/year for EU citizens and residents; 4000 euros/year for citizens from other countries + 175 euros/year for registration and school insurance.
Learning outcomes, skills and competences
- Capacity to assess of Human and natural forcings on coastal and marine systems based on:
- Strong foundation in the Marine Sciences, including biology, chemistry, physics, and geological aspects of marine/coastal systems.
- Ability to integrate knowledge and skills from all areas of study to address interdisciplinary problems and climate change challenges.
- Critical and analytical thinking skills:
- Define procedures, operations and techniques for problem solving
- Evaluate environmental risks
- Evaluate the trophic state of waters
- Demonstrate ability and proficiency in quantitative skills:
- Model coastal and marine systems
- Process oceanographic data
- Model waves, tides and currents
- Elaborate and analyze submarine mapping
- Elaborate programs of environmental monitoring
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form to convey scientific knowledge and results to peers, and public domain
- Ability to independently design and execute research work oriented on quantitative data
- Develop the capacity of working in a team
CAREERS AND EMPLOYMENT
- Technical and scientific employment;
- Advising/mediating functions in the processes of participatory management;
- Consultancy at/for companies (environmental restoration, ocean energy, management, dredging, oil, spatial planning, marine resources);
- Lead functions in the implementation of new legal national (and European) instruments on the territorial/economic marine and coastal field.
MSc Commission members: